Data Analyst - TVL - 1 year FTC
Reason for recruitment
The TV Licensing team is an outsourced model. The Analytics team is part of a 45-strong, cross-discipline team that creates the marketing strategy, delivers the campaigns and evaluates what works for the client. This is one of the largest agency data assignments in the UK. The Analytics team consists of eight full-time Analysts who work very closely with a team of 5 Data Planners and 5 Data Selections analysts. The Analysts directly access the TVL transactional database of 32m domestic and business records, which is used to derive insights on licence purchasing behaviour, to create monthly reporting, to forecast sales and to evaluate campaigns. Every test that we undertake, every campaign that we roll out, and every decision that we take on the TVL Account is driven by insight.
TV Licensing is about to embark on a marketing transformation project which is scheduled to start at the beginning of Q2 2019. The existing Campaign Management system (CMS) will be replaced with a new market leading system and data management solution. Whilst we currently use SAS as the analytics tool, this will also be changed out for a new tool.
Two Analysts within the team will be required to work full time on the migration project for a minimum period of twelve months. Consequently, we are seeking two new Analysts to join the team on a 12 month contract to replace them on business as usual projects. The start date for the first Analyst is February and for the second is March.
What type of work do we do within the team?
Here are some examples of the type of work we carry out for BBC TV Licensing:
- ‘Day 10’ monthly campaign performance reporting on licence sales
- Monthly sales forecasting
- MI development and profiling for segments of the customer base
- Development of a segmentation for businesses using third party data
- Building a propensity model to identify individuals who are likely to become unlicensed
- An analysis of campaign activity to examine whether our activities are biased towards/against minority groups
- Evaluation of digital advertising sales using floodlight sales tagging
Reporting and Context
The position reports to the Senior Analytics Partner, who is responsible for the team of seven data analysts who between them cover the various audience segments in the base.
The wider Proximity Data team is a community of more than 40 data professionals who love to stretch themselves and learn from each other.
Our mission is to develop innovative data strategies, translating these into communication plans that change the behaviour of our target audiences, working collaboratively and creatively with colleagues in Planning and UX.
Over the last couple of years, we have delivered award-winning data strategies for TVL winning Silver at the DMAs for TVL in 2014 and we were finalists at the Data Storytelling Awards in 2015 and won Gold on the DMAs in 2018.
The role will suit an experienced data analyst looking for new challenges. We’re looking for confident, effective, personable candidates who really get a buzz out of presenting their insight to stakeholders.
The role and what’s required to do it well…
As a member of the TVL Data team you are responsible for delivering data based insights and you continuously identify new opportunities to deploy data creatively.
You will be the day to day data analyst lead for specific segments of the customer base or for specific projects, working with the Data Planner to deliver best in class data solutions to projects through the use of statistical analysis techniques that deliver true insight. In your role you will demonstrate high levels of competence in the following areas:
- Designing test plans for new campaign activity
- Assisting with the development of business cases in support of campaign initiatives
- Interpreting the findings from analysis and making recommendations for future activity
- Designing and delivering campaign reporting and data visualisation
- Reporting on the success of campaigns to highlight trends in the data and the rationale for trends
- Advising clients on the optimum way to use data and analytical / statistical techniques to drive maximum value from their data
We’re looking for someone with:
- Three to five years experience in applying insights from customer data, with an in-depth understanding of all aspects of the role of data in direct and digital marketing
- Excellent SAS skills
- Excellent SQL skills
- Excellent Excel skills
- Knowledge of R and Python a distinct advantage
- Ability to manipulate large data sets
- Highly numerate, logical thinker
- Ability to think creatively about how data can be applied to solve business problems
- Understands how to use statistical techniques in a marketing environment (e.g. testing, response analysis, evaluation of ROI)
- Methodical and organised with high level of attention to detail
- Resilient with the ability to cope with changing priorities and work to tight deadlines under pressure
- Results driven and enjoys applying the learning and insight from campaigns to future activity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to present ideas confidently to clients and Account teams
- Personable, positive nature, good fun, with the ability to fit well into a collaborative, friendly team