Account Director - Great Ormond Street Hospital and Guide Dogs
REASON FOR RECRUITMENT
We are looking for a bright, driven and confident Account Director to work on two of the UK’s most loved charity brands – The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association and Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH). This role will work across the fundraising area of each business.
We are looking for someone with substantial agency experience, a pro-active, high energy and dynamic individual who has a passion for delivering exceptional results and best-in-class client service. As a key member of each team, we require an individual with strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate others. We want someone who can hit the ground running, both on their own and as part of the wider team. They should have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal and have the ability to build strong client relationships at multiple levels.
ABOUT GUIDE DOGS AND GOSH
The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
Proximity has been working with Guide Dogs since August 2015: Guide Dogs has been a successful fundraising organisation, relying on the UK’s love of dogs and a steady stream of very generous legacy donors. However, as the fundraising environment becomes more complex, and Guide Dogs evolves their core services to address more needs of people who are blind and visually impaired, they need to adapt their brand to support their future fundraising strategy. We are working with Guide Dogs on their fundraising campaigns - Acquisition and retention DM packs, supporter journeys, digital campaigns, innovation and DRTV adverts.
Great Ormond Street Hospital
Proximity has been working with GOSH account since circa 2009. Since GOSH opened its door on Valentine’s Day 1852 (165 years ago), the hospital has been dedicated to children’s healthcare and to finding new and better ways to treat childhood illnesses.
Great Ormond Street Hospital receives more than 268,000 patient visits every year. Most of the children are referred from other hospitals throughout the UK and overseas. Proximity are the lead strategic and creative agency for CRM, offering a full service solution (strategy, creative, studio, print approval). We work across Acquisition, Retention, Legacy and GDPR campaigns.
REPORTING & CONTEXT
The position will report directly into the Business Director, who has over 18 years’ experience within the charity sector and heads up both accounts.
The role would suit a strong Account Director looking for a new and exciting challenge; they would ideally have charity experience, or definitely a keen interest and passion to work in the sector and be able to fully understand the challenges and opportunities within the world of fundraising.
Confident and gregarious, this person is comfortable building strong client relationships with multiple client teams and really understands process and the benefit it brings. The day to day team is currently made up of a Senior Account Manager and Account Executive on Guide Dogs and an Account Manager on GOSH.
The successful applicant will need to hit the ground running and oversee the day-to-day campaigns and client relationships to ensure everything is running smoothly and moving forward across both accounts.
We are looking for a self-starter, someone who is comfortable working autonomously, using their initiative, but also working as part of a team.
THE ROLE AND WHAT’S REQUIRED TO DO IT WELL
As an Account Director you will be highly organised and confident in your abilities to lead a team and be used to managing the delivery of multiple projects across any client business, providing the headspace to take into account the wider context and adding value to the project at every stage. With the guidance of your Business Director you will lead your team in generating braver ideas that meet your clients’ business objectives as well as delivering on Proximity’s broader growth agenda.
This person will need to:
- Build excellent relationships with senior manager level clients which enable a clear understanding of your individual client’s perspectives, personal ambitions and team management style.
- Deputise for your Business Director in key client meetings and in making team management decisions if required.
- Have a wide range of channel knowledge both online and offline, DRTV experience would also be beneficial.
- Be able to inspire clients and develop key relationships internally to ensure operationally a tight ship is being run.
- Build excellent internal relationships across the agency, especially with the Client Board leads on your business and delivery department heads.
- Lead and ensure a seamless delivery of projects across the accounts from receipt of brief to completion.
- Take ownership of the quality of project delivery across your team through education and enforcing of the agency’s processes and the brilliant basics of client service; lead your team by example in the areas of client communication, financial management, time management and quality of creative and strategic output.
- Be financially minded to drive account efficiency from a revenue and resource perspective. Always looking for organic growth opportunities on both accounts.
- Support your BD in commercial management of the client business through oversight of billing and accruals, timely provision of forecasts, POs and revenue and contribution figures.
- Build a strong 3rd party relationship with MC&C, the media agency we partner with.
- Demonstrate and encourage curiosity in your client’s business products and goals from their commercial KPIs and brand vision to their competitor and consumer landscape.
- Proactively manage your team’s careers through an annual appraisal, review of objectives, and through fostering a feedback culture.
- Attend and engage in the fortnightly Client Service meetings as well as other agency wide presentations and training sessions, and to encourage your teams’ attendance.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Ownership and confident management of delivering integrated campaigns across a variety of channels – DM, Digital and DRTV.
- Ability to work independently and within a team – managing upwards to the BD as and when required.
- Liaising with all internal departments including Creative, Planning, Art Buying, Tech as well as key stakeholders within the wider integrated agency teams.
- Being the escalation point within the management of interagency meetings.
- Confidently present both strategic proposals and creative work to clients.
- Support the team to demonstrate proactive management of campaigns, successfully pushing projects forward. Whilst managing timelines and agreed budgets to avoid over burn.
- Managing client expectations and delivering against expectations – adhering to the agreed ‘Ways of Working’ and ensuring our internal checklists are used accordingly when delivering creative.
- Ensure a comprehensive understanding, management and tracking of the complex monthly billing process (Guide Dogs).
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH
- Ideally a deep knowledge of CRM, direct, digital and DRTV channels.
- Excellent communication skills – articulated in person and in writing, confident presenter, ability to build trusted relationships with senior clients, ability to handle conflict and negotiations.
- A highly organised approach with great attention to detail – a “Brilliant Basics” ambassador for the team.
- Strong creative judgement and strategic thinking, with the ability to challenge ideas.
- A collaborative and inquisitive mind-set – leading through example to create a positive team environment, encourage curiosity, think laterally to find solutions and create opportunities.
- Strong financial and commercial acumen.
- An entrepreneurial approach to seek out and convert opportunities
- At least 6 years agency experience.
- Experience leading, motivating and developing a team.
- Previous charity experience is very beneficial, but not essential.
- Experience of direct and digital marketing channels, especially DM.
- A great understanding of the creative development process.
- Curious mind, hungry to learn, innovative and dynamic.
- Ability to juggle and prioritise multiple demands without compromising agency time/resources.
- A natural team player who fits well into a collaborative, friendly team.
- Client management skills (manages expectations, builds trust, communicates well).
- Experience of working with multiple agencies and stakeholders.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES SOUGHT
- Proximity has a real ethos of collaboration and team-work, so we want a solid team player.
- Someone who’s not afraid to get stuck in.
- Someone who is accountable and takes ownership.
- Someone with the tenacity and drive to see a job through to the end.
- Able to motivate, lead and develop the internal team.
ABOUT PROXIMITY LONDON
We’re one of the UK’s leading customer engagement marketing agencies. In 2015 we were awarded Campaign’s Agency of the Year and in 2016 WARC’s global digital agency of the year.
We are recognized worldwide as a creative agency. Our point of difference lies in our ability to fuse the disciplines of direct marketing, user-experience, consumer planning and big data into behavior changing ideas that deliver value for our clients and memorable experiences for people.
Proximity London is the biggest office in a worldwide network of 67 offices, and over 2,500 people globally. But, unlike some agencies we maintain the feel and attitude of a smaller shop (no, honestly! – it’s what our clients say). Our network provides career opportunities and means we can draw on an enviable pool of talent for any brief we face.
People tend to stay at Proximity, because Proximity cares about and supports people. It really is a fabulous place to work.